Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Michigan: day 1 and 2

I've been putting this off because it's going to take a long time to summarize our trip. So...I've decided to do several different posts. This is mainly for my benefit so don't read on if you want a lot of details.

DAY 1: traveling. We drove down to Utah and stayed with Brady's sister the night before our plane left. The drive was longer than usual and Cooper was up for most of the drive. I get really car sick lately so you can imagine how hard it was for me to be constantly looking back at him and keeping him occupied. When we got to Tara's her mother in law was there and made us a delicious beef stew dinner. We were able to play with her kids and enjoy some time with her family. Unfortunately, Cooper didn't sleep well that night. He cried a lot and when he fell asleep it was almost 11 I think. He was up several times in the night and kept us up too.

DAY 2: traveling. Our flight was to take off at 10 so we left Tara's at 8. We were exhausted and I was not looking forward to the flight with Cooper. So I was tired, grumpy, and hungry. Everything went fine through check in and we found our terminal right away. We grabbed some food while we waited. I am grateful for the "family boarding" for flights. They didn't do this when I went to Michigan in August so it was great! Also, our flights were "open seating" so we were able to pick our own seats. With his energy I like to sit in the very back so that if he starts whining it's not in the middle of the plane. Thankfully, the flight was not completely booked so Cooper had a seat of his own. He played the whole time and loved looking out the window. Then we arrived in Phoenix. Our layover was about 2 hours so we had some time to grab some food and hopefully make Cooper take a nap. We fought him FOREVER. We eventually let him get down and crawl around to release some energy. When I did finally get him to sleep we had about 30 minutes until our plane started boarding. At that point there was so much going on he wouldn't sleep. The flight to Detroit wasn't too bad. There was a little boy in the seat in front of us who he played a lot with. Lots of peek-a-boo and touching each other hands. They both were giggling so much! Again, the plane wasn't completely booked so he had a seat for himself. He refused to sleep and started to get a little whiney towards the end. When we landed in Detroit we were so excited to not be flying anymore. Our friends, Kyle and Holly, picked us up from the airport and drove us home to Kalamazoo. Cooper slept most of the way and we enjoyed talking with them. They have a little girl that's two weeks younger than Cooper so it was fun to catch up. We got to my mom's and ordered pizza from a local place. After a little while of talking we all went to bed and had a great night sleep.

No comments: