Tonight I made a very delicious meal! Brady and I fell in love with corn chowder soup at BYU-I and I decided to try to make it. This is the second recipe that I have tried and it's very YUMMY! The bread bowls were perfect for this soup. Here are the recipes:
Italian Bread Bowls - Given to me by Tara Bleazard
2 (.25 oz) packages active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
7 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add salt, oil, and 4 cups flour to the yeast mixture; beat well. Stir in the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, beating well with an electric mixer at medium speed after each addition.
3. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume. About 40 minutes.
4. Punch dough down and divide into 8 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 4 inch round loaf. Place loaves on lightly greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise n a warm place, free from drafts until double in bulk. About 35 minutes.
5. Preheat over to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, beat together egg white and 1 tablespoon water; lightly brush the loaves with half of this egg wash.
6. Bake in preheated over for 15 minutes. Brush with remaiing egg mixture, and bake 10-15 more minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.
7. To make bowls: cut a 1/2 inch tick slice from top of each loaf; scoop out centers leaving 3/4 inch thick shells. Fill bread bowls with hot soup and serve immediately.
Chicken Corn Chowder - Given to me from Alisha Robison
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
1 can chicken noodle soup
1 can cream style corn
1 cup cooked chicken, diced or shredded
Melt butter, blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook over low heat until smooth. Stir in milk, bring to a boil stirring constantly until thick. Add soup, corn, and chicken. Heat but do not boil. May be served over buttered toast.