Sunday, September 26, 2010

After college...

(WARNING: long and boring...it's kind of journal entry for myself. Feel free to skip it all and scroll down to the bottom!)

I started college as soon as I graduated high school not knowing what I wanted to do or who I wanted to be. I wanted a career and not in an office. I don't like to sit and do paperwork...but I do love the organization and interaction with people. It wasn't until after I was pregnant with Kegan that I wanted to become a registered nurse. I looked at schools for a while and didn't want to wait the 2+ years to even start a program. So we headed out to BYUI with faith that it was what we were supposed to do. I took the prerequisites, earned a 4.0 in every semester, and applied for the program. To our surprise I was accepted on the first try, which can be very difficult to do! Everything was falling into place as we had prayed for :) I went through the program with 4.0 every semester until I was pregnant with Cooper. I had Cooper in the middle of my last semester and struggled with putting in the time to study...even though I knew that I could jeopardize my place in the program. Thankfully, I made it through with an A and an A- in my nursing classes! Woohoo! I even did 12+ hour shifts at 38 weeks pregnant! I graduated in April and did not pass the exam I needed to to be approved to take the final NCLEX. I studied and procrastinated to take the 2nd exit exam. When I finally got around to it I didn't pass once again. A serious disappointment. So some more time studying and took another test and my director was confident that I was prepared to take the NCLEX.

Last Friday I took the NCLEX. I drove up to Boise Thursday night and stayed in a hotel. I had to be at the testing center at 7:30 for my 8:00 appointment. I wasn't very nervous but more anxious to get home to Cooper (Cooper cried the entire night I left until bedtime)! After 91 questions and only an hour at the center my screen went blue...I was done. Seriously scary! That's when my nerves hit me. I am the kind of person that needs to know the results right then and there but the NCLEX doesn't let you find out for 2 business days (if you pay the extra money). So I went home thinking of the questions and how I should've taken more time. The weekend was a little stressful but I knew that whatever happens I would get through it. Even though I knew I wouldn't be able to see the results I checked the website several times this weekend. This evening I thought "I'm sure the results aren't there...it's Sunday. But what the heck, I have nothing better to do." The "unofficial" results WERE in!!! I paid the extra money and I...

PASSED!!!!!!

I am "unofficially" Kelsey Ellis, RN

I couldn't be more proud of myself! I have successfully graduated from college, took the NCLEX, and became an RN. I accomplished something that I have worked so hard for. It's such a relief and now I can't wait to spend more time with my family :)

Oh...and I had an interview last week!! It sounded as though they were interested in me but told me to call them (on their cell phones) when I found out the results. The job opportunity seems kind of perfect right now so we'll see!

4 comments:

Lauritzen Lovin' said...

Kelsey Ellis, RN! What wonderful news! Congratulations Kels, you have worked so hard for this. I admire you for your dedication and determination. I'm super proud and hope you get the job. Good Luck! We love you guys!

Katie Petersen said...

Congrats Kelsey. I can't imagine how incredible that must feel. Good luck with the job search. I hope you get this one you are excited about.

Amanda Petersen said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting! I too hope you're able to find a job you love. That's just such a good feeling to know you are done and quite frankly...those initials look pretty good next to your name! Congrats!

McKenna said...

Congrats!!! That is awesome and definitely an accomplishment to be proud of! I hope you land a job soon :)