I had an appointment today to set the c-section date. We officially were planning on July 30th (close to 38 weeks). However, after talking with the doctor today they HIGHLY recommend delivering at 36 weeks. What a shocker it was to me!
My first thought: "what about his lungs?" Apparently after 35 weeks they are not worried about lung development. They won't even do an amniocentesis to check his development. Today I realized how much knowledge I have lost since graduation! I couldn't remember how many weeks "full term" was. Haha!
So then Brady said: "why have we been told 38 weeks and now it's 36 weeks?" Apparently with a "T" incision (one vertical and one horizontal) I am at an increased risk for a uterine rupture if I go into labor or contractions. That may or would result in hemorrhage and loss of baby. We definitely want to be going home with a baby! So to be safe he says 36 weeks. We don't know why the other doctor's have been saying other wise. This doctor said they have a meeting every monday to "discuss" their higher risk patients and he is going to bring up our situation in the meeting. I have an appointment monday with him to discuss what was said. He also wants paperwork on each operation to get an idea of what my previous surgeries were like so he can get a better idea of what to expect.
Then my thoughts were: "I've been contracting a LOT lately...is that bad?" He decided to do a quick check and my cervix is closed and thick (which is GREAT considering all the contractions). We also scheduled an ultrasound for Monday to check the growth of our little guy and see how thick my uterus is from the inside. I'm also going to be monitoring/keeping track of all my contractions to give the doctor an idea of what is happening. In the mean time I can still work but keep it easy.
So we are pretty confident that July 15th is the birthdate!! But we will find out more on Monday.